John D GILL
__ | __| | | | |__ | _ COLLEN ____________| | | | | __ | | | | |__| | | | |__ | | |--Harriet Rogers COLLEN | | __ | | | __| | | | | | |__ | | |_Lina E _____________| | | __ | | |__| | |__
 [S6] Middletown Transcript
 [S6] Middletown Transcript
John W. Jordan LL.D, "Colonial Families of Philadelphia" Vol. I, New York-Lewis Publishing Co, 1911:
"The Pennington family of Henham, county of Essex, and Amersham, county of Bucks, England, and afterwards of Philadelphia, had its origin with one Pennington, who is buried at Henham, prior to 1557. He was a cadet of the ancient family of Pennington, Lancashire, and of Muncaster, county of Cumberland, which had held those manors since the time of Gamel de Penitone, of Pennington and Muncaster, who flourished in the reign of King Henry II. and who were created baronets in 1676, and Barons (a feudal tenant of the king or of any higher-ranking lord; nobleman) of Muncaster in 1683. The connection with the main stem of the Muncaster family is alluded to in the will of Admiral Sir John Pennington who was a great-grandson of the Pennington, of Henham, before referred to. The will mentions 'cousin William Pennington of Muncaster,' and the testator (a person who has made a will) was buried at Muncaster as a relative of that family. The first Pennington, of Henham, had among other children, Thomas Pennington of Tottenham High Cross, county of Middlesex, gentleman; William Pennington, citizen of London (ancestor of the Philadelphia Peningtons); Robert Pennington of Plegenden, parish of Henham, county of Essex. The latter, whose will was dated August 20, 1557, and who is buried at Henham, August 28, same year, was the grandfather of Admiral Sir John Pennington, whose father was also names Robert, purchased land in Henham and Elsenham in 1557, and was buried at Henham, November 22, 1612."
Muncaster Castle (www.uk-north.com/lakes/visits/muncastr.html):
"Dominating the River Esk, Muncaster has been of strategic importance since Roman times with the view described as "Gateway to Paradise".
The Pele Tower stands on Roman foundations and was extended through the ages into the castle of today. In 1208 the land was granted to the Pennington family, and is still our home, probably only due to the magical "Luck of Muncaster" a drinking bowl belonging to Henry VI. He gave it to the family in 1464 declaring that as long as it remained intact, Penningtons would live and thrive at Muncaster. A replica is on display.
Each visitor is offered a free Walkman tour narrated by Patrick Gordon-Duff-Pennington, the present owner. This explains and enlivens the treasures collected by Penningtons over seven centuries with many interesting and humorous family anecdotes. Admire the Octagonal Library with its fine furniture, the beautiful 'Alabaster Lady' in the Great Hell and the rare Ongley dinner service displayed in the dining Room along with a picture painted by Gainsborough to win a bet. Upstairs, pause a while in the haunted Tapestry Room, scene of many mysterious happenings and gazer into the eyes of Thomas Skelton, the last Fool of Muncaster and a rather mischievous character whose portrait hangs on the landing. The Drawing room boasts a superb barreled ceiling and four portraits by Sir Joshua Reynolds."
The name Pennington is one of the oldest in England. Surnames did not exist before the Norman Conquest (1066 AD). The population was so low that names of neighbors were not duplicated often enough to pose problems. With the
conquest, surnames began to be taken by the nobility. By 1200 most families used two names, though the second name was not always hereditary. The name Pennington started, as so many English surnames did, as a place name. It is a
manor, parish and village in the old land of Cumbria, later called North Lancaster and now in the new county of Cumbria. The Cumbrians are of mixed Brigantes tribe of Celts and Viking ancestry, with a strong mixture of Saxon, Danish and
Irish blood as well. The manor is exactly the same size as the parish which formerly belonged to the Cistercian Abbey of Furness, and includes 4,160 acres or six and oneself square miles. The parish was the smallest in Lancashire. The
village was composed of 50 houses and 284 people in the mid nineteenth century, and is about the same size today. The name was spelled Pennegetun in the Domesday book of 1086 AD, the first census of England initiated by William the
Conqueror, when all of England and Wales had only about one and a half million people. The name apparently arose either from the British word pennig (little hill) or from pennaig (prince) and the Saxon word ton (town).
The oldest Pennington we know of, Gamel de Peninton or Penitone, bore an Old Norse first name, indicating Viking ancestry. He held the manor during the time of King Henry II, count of Anjou and a Plantagenet, who reigned from 1154 to
1189. The grass covered ruins of the original manor house and castle still stand, but in about 1242 the lord of the manor moved to Mulcaster, now Muncaster castle at the mouth of the river Esk, some twenty miles to the west. The lord of
Muncaster was generally a knight until 1676 when he was made a Baronet. In 1783, his descendant was made a Baron. During the War of the Roses, Holy King Harry, Henry VI, became lost after the Battle of Towton in 1464. Sir John
Pennington rescued him near Muncaster. In gratitude, King Henry presented Sir John with a fragile glass cup called the "Luck of Muncaster" and a blessing that the family would never run out of male heirs so long as the cup remained
unbroken. Though the cup still survives, the last male Pennington of this line died in 1917. The present lord, Sir William Pennington-Ramsden, is descended from the family of the mother of the last Lord Pennington. (1)
The oldest male Pennington given names are those of the lords of Pennington and Muncaster. Gamel�s sons were Benedict and Meldred. Alan was lord in 1208, followed by Thomas (d. 1240), Gamel, and many Alans, Johns, and
Williams. The various cadet (younger sons) branches in the area had such names as Allen, Christopher, Edward, George, Gilbert, Henry, Rowland, Thomas and William from 1500 through 1627. The female names from this period were
Agnes, Alice, Allys, Catherine, Elizabeth, Isable, Mabell and Margaret.(2) By 1250 the Pennington names were all in Norman form. In general, Old English (Saxon) and Cymric (Welsh or British) names were a minority in the population.
It may will be that other inhabitants of the village of Pennington took the town name as a surname during the 1100�s and 1200�s, yet since it was a very tiny village, it is very likely all were closely related anyway. Gamel de Peninton can
with very great confidence be called an ancestor of all the Penningtons today.
Due to normal increase, the descendants of Gamel spread throughout the entire Furness section of Lancashire from the seacoast to the tops of the highest of the Furness Fells (Map 1), spread throughout the scenic Lakes district of old
Cumberland and Westmoreland and spread across Morecombe Bay to Preston and to Wigan and Radcliffe in southern Lancashire between Liverpool and Manchester. They also spread south along the old Roman road Ermine Street, the
site of which today is generally occupied by main highway A-1, into Yorkshire and on down south to London. The earliest Pennington we know to have reached London was Ralph, who died there in Shoreditch in 1444. Most of the London
Penningtons were spread out along Ermine Street halfway to Cambridge, or crammed in the 677 acres (about 1 square mile) of the City of London (as opposed to suburbs) centered around London Bridge (Map 2) and included within the Roman wall and the medieval wall built on its ruins.(3)
 [S64] "Pedigree of Penington of Henham, Co. Essex, Amersham to Bucks"
 Reprinted from the History and Pedigree of the Penningtons, compiled by Joseph Foster,21 Boundary Rd, St John's Wood, London N.W. Microfich Files DE Archives Dover DE
 [S69] "Colonial Families of Philadelphia Vol I"
Ben S JOHNSON Little Rock Arkansas
_Christopher VANDEGRIFT marries a KING___________________________+ | (1732 - 1816) _Jacob VANDEGRIFT _____| | (1763 - 1845) m 1791 | | |_Rebecca KING ___________________________________________________ | (1738 - 1803) _James Madison VANDEGRIFT ___| | (1813 - 1902) m 1844 | | | _John MCWHORTER _________________________________________________ | | | | |_Jane MCWHORTER _______| | (1768 - 1829) m 1791 | | |_________________________________________________________________ | | |--J Caroline VANDEGRIFT | (.... - 1895) | _John T COCHRAN probable connection based on tombstone locations_ | | | _John T COCHRAN _______| | | (1787 - 1822) m 1819 | | | |_Mary ___________________________________________________________ | | (1759 - 1812) |_Mary Adeline Ellis COCHRAN _| (1822 - 1868) m 1844 | | _Samuel PENINGTON Odessa, DE proven link to Robert_______________+ | | (1770 - 1823) |_Margaret B PENINGTON _| (1799 - 1874) m 1819 | |_Rebecca MELDRUM ________________________________________________+ (1779 - 1802)
 [S24] Journal of Susannah Elizabeth Vandegrift
 [S173] History of the King Family in Flanders & America 1300's - 1980
__ | __| | | | |__ | _Obadiah VOSHELL died John Caleb was small boy TN_| | (1810 - 1869) | | | __ | | | | |__| | | | |__ | | |--Jonathan J VOSHELL | (1863 - ....) | __ | | | __| | | | | | |__ | | |_Elizabeth WILLIAMS ______________________________| | | __ | | |__| | |__
 [S89] DE Archives Orphan Court Records Kent Co DE case file
 [S143] DE Census 1870